This trip is now closed.
This tour will introduce you to food system education and practice in both Oakland Unified School District and Berkeley Unified School District. Participants will get to experience two very different types of garden-based learning; eat a typical Berkeley “school lunch” with 7th graders; snack at one of Oakland’s 14-school based produce stands; and talk with nutrition service directors from both Districts.
Oakland Unified School District’s Nutrition Services serves fresh fruits and vegetables each school day and our salad bar program is a huge success. However it is not enough to offer healthy foods, we need to make sure students choose to eat these foods. OUSD provides nutrition education through the classroom and community events, in our school gardens and at our district-sponsored produce stands. We coordinate all these programs to maximize our message impact, improve healthy food access in “food desert” neighborhoods and increase student demand for healthy food. Last year we launched “Oakland Eats Garden Fresh” to bring all these elements together under one banner.
- Tour the world-famous Edible Schoolyard, founded by Alice Waters
- Eat a typical Berkeley “school lunch” with 7th graders
- Participate in eco-literacy based education at Oakland’s Cleveland Elemenatry
- Learn about the differences between Oakland and Berkeley’s school lunch programs
- Edible School Yard, Garden- and kitchen-based education for middle schoolers in Berkeley Unified School District
- Cleveland Elementary School, Oakland, a school known for its cutting-edge garden-based eco-literacy program
- Franklin Elementary, Oakland, a school with one of OUSD’s produce stands; we will also tour their kitchen
This trip is now closed. Check back later for future Food Justice Tours of Berkeley and Oakland schools.
Bay Area Food Justice Tours (Nov. 4 – 5, 2011) are brought to you by CFSC in partnership with Food Sovereignty Tours, a project of Food First/the Institute for Food and Development Policy.
For more information, contact Tanya at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (510) 654-4400, ext. 223